The mission of Massmouth is to promote the timeless art of storytelling. We are a Massachusetts-based non-profit organization committed to increasing the visibility of storytelling at traditional and non-traditional venues alike. Our goal is to enable anyone, in any walk of life, in all parts of our community, to tell their story.
Massmouth is a non-profit organization that promotes the timeless art of storytelling in Massachusetts. Since our founding, Massmouth, Inc. has changed the way Greater Boston and the surrounding communities tell and listen to stories.
Supported by a group of local storytellers, founders Norah Dooley and Andrea Lovett incorporated Massmouth, Inc. in 2009 as a 501c3 and started the Greater Boston story slam series. Since then, thousands of storytellers and listeners from all over the state have participated in Massmouth programming and helped to promote storytelling at traditional and non-traditional venues.
Community Partners (examples.)
- Club Passim
- Boston Public Library
- Doyle's Restaurant
- Emerson College
- First Night Boston
- Improv Jones and the Riot Theater
- International Institute of New England
- Massachusetts Cultural Council
- The City of Boston
- Trident Booksellers
Regional and National Storytelling Awards
- 2010 - Hugh Morgan Hill (Brother Blue) Award, LANES.org -- a regional non-profit that promotes storytelling.
- 2012 - Oracle Award, National Storytelling Network (NSN) for our contribution to storytelling in our community.
- Multiple years - Boston Cultural Council awards. These grants have helped us produce dozens of low-cost/ free storytelling events across the Boston area.